Welcome friends! My name is Heather Jane (Varner … but soon-to-be Brown!) and I am the face and voice behind Storms & Silver Linings.
I am so excited that you are here and I hope you’ll stick around. If you do, you’ll definitely get to know me through each of my blog posts as they come.
However, since you stopped by this page first, I thought I’d share a little bit about myself here too:
- I live in Cobourg, Ontario, Canada. Cobourg is the cutest little beach town just over an hour east of Toronto! I truly believe we have ‘the best of both worlds’ in terms of small town living with access to big city amenities! Cobourg is a bustling and busy town that totally reminds me of Stars Hollow (shout out fellow Gilmore Girls fans!)
- Though I now live in Ontario, I am originally from the East Coast. Born in Nova Scotia and raised in New Brunswick, I am a Maritimer born and bred … and VERY proud of it! Seafood, the ocean, and salt of the earth people … I absolutely adore where I come from and hold it close to my heart.
- I am engaged to my very best friend, Mac, and can’t wait to finally call him my husband this coming May! We have been together for over 6 years and are so excited to embark on this next chapter of our journey together.
- I’d like to think of myself as a minimalist, but I also love things. This is a balancing act I am currently working on.
- I am a Motherless Daughter. This may be the single most defining trait of my life. My mom died in an accident when I was 23 and it crushed my world. I’ll be sharing my journey with grief and healing on this blog.
- I am also an adult child of divorce. When I was 21 my parents went through a messy separation. The scars of that experience are with me every single day. Again, I’ll be sharing this experience here too!
- Faith has always been a central part of my life. I was raised in the church and identify myself as a ‘Progressive Christian.’ I believe that God is LOVE, and that Jesus calls us to fight for equality, support the vulnerable, and love our neighbors on both a local and global scale.
- I am a strong advocate for gender equality and I strive to ensure my feminism is inter-sectional. However, I am far from perfect, so I encourage and invite open conversation and supportive dialogue so that we can all work together to move toward a better society that is safe for each and every one of us.
- My mom’s greatest legacy was kindness, and this is the foundation upon which I’m building my life. ‘In the end, only kindness matters.’ I truly believe it is the single most important thing.