Welcome friends! My name is Heather Jane Brown (maiden name: Varner), and I am the face and voice behind Storms & Silver Linings.
I am so excited that you are here and I hope you’ll stick around. If you do, you’ll definitely get to know me through each of my blog posts as they come.
However, since you stopped by this page first, I thought I’d share a little bit about myself here too:
- I live in Cobourg, Ontario, Canada. Cobourg is the cutest little beach town just over an hour east of Toronto! I truly believe we have ‘the best of both worlds’ in terms of small town living with access to big city amenities! Cobourg is a bustling and busy town that totally reminds me of Stars Hollow (shout out fellow Gilmore Girls fans!)
- Though I now live in Ontario, I am originally from the East Coast. Born in Nova Scotia and raised in New Brunswick, I am a Maritimer born and bred … and VERY proud of it! Seafood, the ocean, and salt of the earth people … I absolutely adore where I come from and hold it close to my heart.
- I am newly married to my very best friend, Mac, and am completely blissed-out by the fact that I finally get to call him my husband. We have been together since October 2012, and married in May 2019 and are so excited to see how the rest of our story unfolds.
- I’d like to think of myself as a minimalist, but I also love all the things. This is a balancing act I am currently working on.
- I am a Motherless Daughter. This may be the single most defining trait of my life. My mom died in an accident when I was 23 and it crushed my world. I’ll be sharing my journey with grief and healing on this blog.
- I am also an adult child of divorce. When I was 21 my parents went through a messy separation. The scars of that experience are with me every single day. Again, I’ll be sharing this experience here too!
- Faith has always been a central part of my life. I was raised in the church and identify myself as a ‘Progressive Christian.’ I believe that God is LOVE, and that Jesus calls us to fight for equality, support the vulnerable, and love our neighbors on both a local and global scale.
- I am a strong advocate for gender equality and I strive to ensure my feminism is inter-sectional. However, I am far from perfect, so I encourage and invite open conversation and supportive dialogue so that we can all work together to move toward a better society that is safe for each and every one of us.
- My mom’s greatest legacy was kindness, and this is the foundation upon which I’m building my life. ‘In the end, only kindness matters.’ I truly believe it is the single most important thing.